Sunday, January 5, 2014

RESOLVE TO REFRESH



Hello from Red Gate Farm!

I sit here typing and pausing to look at the kitchen window as a cedar limb blowing in the wind catches my attention.  We are awaiting the South's version of a winter snow storm with anticipated snow fall of 1-3 inches (Yankees...insert laughter here).  I am sure by now the bread and milk isles are barren.  Being a farmer and someone who always has a little stash of staples, I never really worry about getting stranded.  I did notice that Tom brought our reserve of candles up from the old farmhouse.  He's a DANG FINE YANKEE, so his "winter intuition" may be sensing something more than the weather folk are predicting.  Guess I'll take a loaf of bread out of the freezer to thaw.  There...I'm prepared!

For those of you who have spent any time with me, you know I'm a list maker.  I love seeing all my tasks that need to be done with lines crossed through them.  Such satisfaction to watch a favorite pen's ink cross out perfect penmanship...an art lost in our schools these days I might add.  Give this girl a spiral notebook and a great roller ball pen and I'm yours forever!

Speaking of lists...It's that time of year when lists and goals seem to be the topic of many social media posts.  After years of failing to realize my New Year's Resolutions, I've stopped writing them down or sharing them.  Remember, I'm a list maker who crosses things off when done.  I like the IMMEDIATE FIX, probably the reason I never tried drugs.  I'd be an addict for sure!  Watching my resolutions fade into the poster's paper fibers month after month, was just too painful for me.

My blog is a perfect example.  I started this blog in 2011 as a New Year's Resolution and as part of a journey I was on.  I started out resolving to write once a week.  After a week became a month and a month turned into 6 months and finally only 2 posts in 2012, I was just going to give it up.  It then occurred to me, who was I doing this for?  In my journey the blog was to be a place to share thoughts, ideas and encouragement.  It was never meant to be based on a schedule.  When I could not meet the scheduled goal, I felt defeated and I lost sight of the intent of the blog.  Instead of REFRESHING myself, I just stopped writing.  I now have given myself permission to write when the feeling hits me and hope that someone else might glean a little something in the process.

Over the past few years I've learned to slow down.  I've backed away from a jam-packed schedule with no time for anything other than meeting other's requests for my time.  I find that I'm working my way through my list addiction and taking more time to tackle things as time allows.  I have to admit that when you have a newborn, you seem to adjust to this type of lifestyle faster. 

This year I encourage you to RESOLVE less and REFRESH more.  Our souls need time to reconnect with hearts and minds.  I am finding I cherish quiet, peaceful sitting more than anything else these days.  I enjoying escaping in my own thoughts and dreams.  I no longer consider that a waste of time.  I don't want to send a message that goals and lists are not good.  I had a 20 year successful corporate career because of them.  I DO want to send the message that your soul has to be refreshed and ready to receive them in order to achieve them.

Here's wishing you a REFRESHED SOUL for 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment